Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs given. (4 POINTS)
Example: A law should _____________ (pass) to limit the amount of new construction in this city.
1. Parking tickets must _____________ (issue) to drivers who park illegally.
2. People ought _____________ (require) to take a driver’s course before they get a license.
3. Politicians shouldn’t _____________ (allow) to vote themselves pay raises.
4. Motorcyclists mustn’t _____________ (permit) to ride without wearing a helmet. aren’t they?
Complete the sentences with tag questions. (3 POINTS)
Example: Rents are high around here, _____________
1. Bullies don’t care about other children’s feelings, _____________ ?
2. Sales tax makes things so expensive, _____________ ?
3. Company outsourcing isn’t always the best way to cut expenses, _____________ ?
Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of establish, be able, or lose. (3 POINTS)
1. In the last five years, I _____________ to save enough money to buy a new car.
2. By the end of this year, I’d like _____________ 15 pounds.
3. By the time I’m 30, I hope I _____________ a small women’s health center downtown.
Match the questions and responses. Then write sentences using complex noun phrases followed by gerunds. (3 POINTS)
1. _______ What is a challenging aspect of being a psychologist?
2. _______ What is one of the most difficult things about being a lawyer?
3. _______ What is the nicest thing about working abroad?
4. _______ What is one of the rewards of being a camp counselor?
a. analyzing people’s behavior
b. gaining leadership experience
c. sometimes fighting for something you don’t believe in
d. learning about another culture
A challenging aspect of being a psychologist is analyzing people’s behavior.
1. ___________________________________________________________________________ .
2. ___________________________________________________________________________ .
3. ___________________________________________________________________________ .
4. ___________________________________________________________________________ .
Circle the correct word or phrase. (4 POINTS)
1. I hope the school budget passes so teachers don’t have to plan for (lack of affordable child care / overcrowded classrooms / homelessness).
2. A new study from a local university says (stray animals / graffiti / inadequate health care) is responsible for over 45,000 deaths a year.
3. We’re looking to hire a (dependent / resourceful / rigid) manager, one who is skilled at solving problems and making decisions.
4. I’m quite pleased with Amanda’s progress – she used to be (courageous / cynical / timid) and shy, but now she’s outgoing.