Complete the conversation. Use the correct form of the verbs. (4 POINTS)
A: My brother starts school in the fall, but he doesn’t have a summer job to fill his time.
B: Really? If I _____________ (not have) a job, I _____________ (sleep) late every day and never leave my house.
A: If I _____________ (have) time, I _____________ (not stay) home every day.
B: What would you do?
A: I _____________ (borrow) some money and _____________ (travel).
Complete the conversation. Use past modals of the verbs. (4 POINTS)
1. A: These flowers were delivered to my house by accident yesterday. They’re so pretty, so I kept them.
B:Oh, I wouldn’t _____________ (do) that. I would _____________ (called) the flower shop.
2. A: While I was parking, I hit someone else’s car. I didn’t leave a note.
B: Oh, you should _____________ (admit) your mistake. You shouldn’t _____________ (deny) responsibility.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs express, give, make, offer, or tell. (4 POINTS)
1. Erica _____________ an apology to her boss for being late to the meeting.
2. When Carlos found out my grandfather had died, he _____________ his sympathy.
3. I only _____________ a lie when I don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings.
4. When Justin doesn’t want to do something, he never _____________ a reason.
Rewrite the conversation in reported speech using the verbs given. (6 POINTS)
Susan: Can you give me a ride to the dentist?
Fred: I can drive you there in the morning.
Susan: Meet me outside my house at 9:00 a.m.
Fred: I will be there around nine.
Susan: Don’t be late!
Fred: I don’t have any other plans.
Susan: I’m very grateful.
asked Fred to give her
Susan ____________________ (ask) a ride to the dentist. Fred ____________________ (tell) there in the
morning. Susan ____________________ (ask) outside her house at 9:00 a.m. Fred ____________________
(say) there around nine. Susan ____________________ (tell) late. Fred ____________________ (tell) any
other plans. Susan ____________________ (say) very grateful.